2 cups All purpose flour (maida)
11/2 tbsp. fine grained semolina(Suji)
1/4th tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp curd(dahi)
11/4th cups warm water
3 cups sugar
2 2/3rd cups water
1/2 tsp green cardamom seeds powder (Ilaichi)
Oil for frying
• Mix the flour, semolina , baking powder, curd and 3/4th cup of the water in a bowl (preferably a ceramic bowl). Mix well with a whisk.
• Now add remaining water and whisk until smooth.
• Set aside for about 2 hours to ferment.
• Whisk thoroughly before use.
• Prepare string syrup by dissolving sugar in the water. Just before the syrup is ready add saffron and cardamom powder.
• Heat oil in a Pan (kadhai). Pour the batter in a steady stream (or coconut shell with a hole) into the kadhai to form coils. Make a few at a time.
• Deep fry them until they are golden and crisp all over but not brown.
• Remove from the kadhai and drain on kitchen paper and immerse in the syrup.
• Leave for at least 4-5 minutes so that they soak the syrup.
• Take them out of syrup and serve hot.