1 pack Filo sheets (phyllo sheets) thawed
1 cup mixed crushed nuts
1 cup Melted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3-4 drops of rose essence(or of your choice)
For sugar syrup:
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup of water
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven on 180 degrees fan force (adjust it according to your oven).
2. Take a bowl, mix the crushed nuts and sugar well and keep it aside.
3. Now to start with, take one sheet of phyllo and brush one side of it completely with the melted butter. Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons of the nut mixture on top and fold it into a straight roll. Repeat this process with at least 6 sheets or according to the number of sheets that may fit into the size of your desired tray used for baking bakhlava.
4. You need to be a bit quick as Phyllo dries out very fast. So cover the rest of the sheets with damp cloth while working.
5. Place all the phyllo rolls on a greased baking pan and cut them into desired shapes. Bake at 180 degrees Fan force for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
6. For sugar syrup, combine sugar, water and lemon juice and boil over medium heat for 15 minutes or until slightly viscous. Keep it aside to cool.
7. Pour the syrup over hot baklava and let it cool for few hours to get the nice crunch.
8. Garnish with crushed pistachio or dry fruits of your choice and serve.