1 and half Cup Chana Dal/yellow split peas
3/4 Cup powdered Jaggery/Gur
1 Tbsp Oil/Ghee
1 tbsp Cardamom powder
4 Cups water
1 Cup Wheat Flour
1/2 Cup Maida/ All Purpose flour
Pinch of turmeric powder(optional)
Pinch of Salt
Water as required
Oil or Ghee as required for frying
1. Wash and rinse the Chana dal in water and soak it for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Once done drain the water and pressure cooker the chana dal for 4-5 whistles.
3. Strain the Dal and mash it into a smooth paste in a blender.
4. Heat ghee/oil in a pan and add the channa dal paste to it. To it add jaggery and cardamom powder and give it a good mix.
5. Now you need to cook this mixture in a low -medium heat till the mixture becomes dry. Keep stirring the mixture every 2-3 minutes.
6. Once the mixture is dry and thick, you can turn off the heat and let it cool.
7. Meanwhile knead the puran poli dough by mixing wheat flour, all purpose flour, Salt , Ghee, turmeric powder and water as required. The dough should be soft. Now keep it aside for 10-15 minutes covered.
8. After 15 minutes divide the dough into equal size ball and start rolling them into medium size poori. Now take equal amount of channa dal filling(Puran) and stuff into the poori. Seal them well and roll into a size of a stuffed paratha.
9. On a heated Tawa/ Griddle put some ghee/Oil and Cook the puran poli both the sides until golden brown in color. You could cook it without Oil/Ghee as well and enjoy.